sorry for not writing before now.. there was one computer at the conference place we stayed and lots of M’s.. so I was not really able to write. I have had an incredible time here in Bangladesh. Lots of adventures including:
1) twice going swimming in the Bay of Bengal ( how exotic does that sound) .. it was beautiful.. HUGE waves… being in landlocked nepal we had a great time . The hilarious thing is the being Bangladesh is a muslim country we had to swim in our full kortas (the big huge hammer like pants, the really long native top thing and the scarf) it was hilarious. I will show you pictures later.. right now believe it or not the internet here is way slower then in nepal so I will post them when I get to nepal.. today we are going to play at a water park.. in our full native wear… hilarious!
2) having quite the adventure with cockroaches. I cannot wait to show you the picture.. they grow cockroaches here HUGE.. like nothing you have ever seen before. Leah and I had quite the experience. One night after playing games until about 11:00 we went back to our room and saw one run out. so leah sprayed it and I squashed it with my shoe. No big deal huh. Well apparently all the cockroaches decided to come out to play for revenge. In a period of about 10 minutes leah with spraying and I smacking my shoe down killed 28 cockroaches. prettyg amazing huh. We have actual video proof which I hope to show you
3) speaking of bugs.. I woke up in the beginning of the week with what looked like a normal bite on my arm.. and I felt two on my neck .. I thought nothing of it.. but the place kept looking worse and worse and spreading. The good thing is the compound we were staying on is a hospital with our mission, so I would eat a meal with about a different doc a day. After a couple of days the docs got worried at what they saw and informed me it was a brown recluse spider bite on my arm and my neck. What i think happened is it was under my pillow.. and i sleep with my arm under my pillow usually so that is how I got the arm and the neck bites. only I would get bit by a bengalee brown recluse. I will show you a picture of this hopefully. I am now on strong antibiotics so the poisen they tell me should not rot my flesh to much now… hmm… interesting thought!
4) we had a great time of team buidling. it is so awesome how God is answering my prayers and bringing our team closer and closer. We spent pretty much every evening together playing game and laughing. It was aweome. I also am very thankful I got to spend a great amount of time with our south asia regional leaders Jim and Marilou (our big bosses) I just love them so much and they are always a great source of encouragement to me and a great joy
5) It was some incredible training. I had already recieved this training on discipleship and evangelim in america, but this time it was directed in how to use it in our region of the world. It was very helpful and I learned a great deal. Also Bangladesh has one of ABWE’s biggest and most established teams and so we went to their field council meetings.. it was great to hear what God is doing through all their ministries in what is very hard ground. God is doing amazing things through His servants here. It was a reminder to me of how BIG our God is even in the midst of overwhelming obstacles.
6) I have seen a whole different world view as Bangladesh is a M*slim country.. it is a very hard place for woman to serve God. You cannot be independant at all like we can in nepal. You havce to be very careful and it is a hugely different atmosphere. It gives me a whole new reason to be thankful for the freedom I have in nepal to be a woman.. and a whole new burden to pray for woman serving God in m*slim parts of the world.. especially single woman. Please pray with me for these special servants!
so we are back in chittagong bangladesh. Last night we had a great time eating at a real live pizza hut. Tommorow morning we fly to dakka bangladeh where we will spend the day and evening… then on Sunday we will fly back to nepal. please pray for our traveling safety and us as we go back to serve in nepal
sorry this is soo long. I will post photos soon