When I think of shame-less I think of the verse above in Psalms 34:5. For way to long the enemy whispered His lies to me of shame. I mean… i was a good “christian church girl” who followed the rules.. so it was not a shame whisper about my past. I was much to good a rule follower for that.
It was the shame of looking in the mirror.. feeling my face was not enough, why did God make me so unlike the pretty popular girl. Why was I to loud, to quiet, to much, to little . I was just stuck in shame — not liking who I was. Comparing myself to the girls in the magazines and the ones at church that Got all the boys. Comparing myself to the “best” and wishing I was better.
Slowly God came into that shame. He poured out His truth through His word, His people speaking His word.. teaching me to believe that if I looked to HIM and His thoughts about me, my face could be radiant and filled with Joy– that no shadow of shame would darken my face. That I could love who Christ created me to be.. not in a prideful way, but in a celebrate the quirky fun beautiful ways Christ crafted me… to be His image bearer by being me. (I even like to have my picture taken now because I just look for the joy that I can see in my eyes, no matter how many chins show…)
And in honor of my 33rd birthday sunday (which I will spend leading a Middle school retreat weekend for girls lol.. so I may end up feeling every one of those 33 years) I want to share 33 things I shameless-ly celebrate in how God made me. Not to brag, or be prideful– but to celebrate the joy that years I fought for freedom– and now all I have to do is look to Jesus and my face will not be put to shame (or yours my friend)
1) I love how God made me pretty laid back about everything.. Except coffee. If there is not coffee at a place and I am leading a retreat or something– I will stop at nothing to get that morning cup
2) I love how God created me to laugh LOTS..
3) I love how God gifted me with the ability to make others laugh.
4) I love how God gifted me wtih the ability to tell a story.
5) I love that my top two strengths on the strengths finder test were woo and includer.. because I love for everyone in a group to feel included !
6) I love how God gave me blue eyes and naturally blonde hair.
7) I love how God gave me a sense of adventure
8) I love how the CRAZIEST things happen to me, and I can turn them into an adventure
9) I love how God has poured His joy out in my life
10) I love that I love to wear crazy chunky big costume jewelry (no real stuff for me)
11) I love that I can cook with anything in my pantry (got that from my mama, but I sure can’t bake, to many rules!)
12) I love that I am a rebel rule follower. I will follow the rules, but inside be rebelling.
13) I love to promote vision. I love to create vision.
14) I love how God has gifted me with faith to believe Him in the impossible and not settle for the normal
15) I love to make the outcasts fill like insiders
16) I love to create community
17) I love how God gave me a love for hospitality.
18) I love how I could get lost going anywhere and I just don’t mind it one bit
19) I love how I am not the quiet one in a room. I used to feel bad about that.. but I realize that telling stories and inviting people in is exactly how God created me
20) I love how I am not afraid to do something new, like run a marathon.
21) I love when I have the sense to never do something again (see number 20)
22) I love to give hugs. My love language is touch and words of affirmation. I will hug you if you check me out at the grocery store even.
23) I love how God gifted me to come alive with a mircrophone in my hand
24) I love how I am an ENFP on the meyers briggs. This serves me well in leading and speaking for Coming Alive Ministires
25) I love that I am a writer but not a proofreader. I have published 2 books and will probablly not proof-read this post.. because I don’t mind a few mis-placed typoes and grammar errors (and I figure you can fix them in your head)
26) I love that I am a dream chaser when God whispers these dreams in my heart.. publishing two books.. um.. that was a crazy God whispered God ordained dream
27) I love that God made me love coffee (see number 1)
28) I love that I have over 55 coffee cups from around the world and only like 4 plates to use when I have you over
29) I love that I love to do dishes and hate to do laundry
30) I love that I love COLOR.. my house may not be on any magazine, but it sure is bright
31) I love that details just don’t matter to me
32) I love that I can admit I need helps with LOTS of details
33) I love that when my face looks to Jesus, I can love the me He created, while asking Him to constantly fashion it into the imagine of Himself
#shame-lessly#liveFreeThursday — What list can you make?